Sunday, December 02, 2012
Something Jeremy and I do every Christmas is meet up with friends, get takeaway coffees (usually festively flavoured ones) and go for a walk along a beautifully decorated neighbourhood. This is our first Christmas living in Auckland together so it was quite exciting to be exploring somewhere different. It's also the first Christmas where I've had a better understanding of our DSLR camera so it was quite fun having a play and getting some pretty shots.
If you're planning to photograph any Christmas displays this year here are a few quick tips that helped me:
• Set your white balance to 'tungsten' so that it will pick up the colour of the bulbs well
• Play with your manual focus and purposely blur your images to get the bokeh effect
• Increase your ISO (I took these pictures with it at 800)
• Start shooting just as it's getting dark (begin around twilight)
• Lower your shutter speed and use a tripod if necessary. I shot these at 1/60 mostly and I was able to do it just by keeping a steady hand luckily.
P.S Doing things like this really makes me miss Ilana from See Me Everywhere. We're living in separate cities now, but for the past few years we've always done this together :'(