I had never tried banana bread before making this but thought the name sounded great! I like bananas, I like bread! Banana + bread = awesomeness right? Right! It turns out banana bread does taste great and goes perfectly with a nice cup of Earl Grey tea. I wasn't sure what the difference was between banana cake and banana bread to start with but as it turns out banana bread is more dense and heavy whereas banana cake is lighter. They have similar ingredients but both have different amounts and mixing methods.
The big difference to me is what you put WITH your bananary goodness, for example chocolate icing goes well with banana cake but a smear of butter is perfect on a slice of banana bread. Either way I'm in love with this simple recipe!
Adapted from Squidoo
4 Ripe Bananas
80g C Butter (1/3 C Melted)
1 C Sugar
1 Egg (Beaten)
1 t Vanilla Essence
1 t Baking Soda
Pinch of Salt
1 1/2 C Flour
• Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and grease a loaf tin with butter.
• Mash bananas in a large bowl.
• Pour butter on top of mashed bananas and mix together with a spoon.
• Add sugar, egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
• Sift the baking soda and salt and mix in.
• Lastly, sift in the flour and mix until combined.
• Pour mixture into the loaf tin and bake for approximately one hour.
• Leave in tin for five minutes then turn out onto cooling rack.
• Slice and serve with tea!
I think this banana bread is best the day after when the bananary flavour has sunk in and gotten all delicious!
Lydia van Weeghel
Here Comes the Sun Contributor